Students Get Started with Clickers
Students, if your instructor is using iClicker Classic, you’ll want to do three things to be sure to earn all credit possible during the semester:
1. Obtain an iClicker remote if you don't already have one.
Options for getting iClicker Classic devices:
- (NEW!) Student Technology Services has an iClicker Lending Program; see the STS Device Lending page.
- You can buy or rent a new or used iClicker at the Cal Student Store.
- Other bookstores (brick-and-mortar or online) also carry iClickers.
- You may be able to find a used iClicker on the "Free & For Sale" Berkeley Facebook group.
- You can share an iClicker remote with a friend or roommate as long as you do not need it for the same course, and, obviously, as long as the courses requiring clickers occur at different times.
Any iClicker device will work: the original iClicker (no longer available new), the iClicker +, or the iClicker 2. (The only exception to this is if your instructor has specifically said you *must* use an iClicker 2, since it has some advanced options.)
You can use one iClicker for all courses that require an iClicker remote.
You should not loan your iClicker to another student in a course in which you are using that iClicker.
Note: some instructors may enable the iClicker student app in their iClicker software, allowing students to use the app (with paid subscription) on a smart phone or other personal device, instead of purchasing an iClicker remote. Enabling this option (and keeping it enabled) is at the discretion of the instructor. If you decide to try the app, make sure to take advantage of the free 14-day trial to ensure that your instructor will allow app use throughout the semester, before you pay for a subscription. The Student ID you enter in your Profile should be your UID (which you can find in your CalCentral profile or if you look yourself up in the campus directory), not your SID/Student ID.
2. Register your iClicker remote in your bCourses class site.
Once you have your iClicker remote in hand, it’s time to register it in your bCourses class site.
- Log into your bCourses class site.
- Click the "iClicker registration" tab, on the left navigation bar. (If you do not see this tab, you will need to wait until your instructor has enabled it.)
- In the Remote ID field, enter the ID you find on the back of your iClicker remote.
- Click Register.
Please be sure to register your remote in bCourses following the instructions above. Do not try to register at the iClicker vendor website, unless your instructor has specifically said to register at iclicker.com. If you have multiple courses using clickers, and one instructor says to register at bCourses and another says to register at iclicker.com, you must register in both places.
It’s important that you register your iClicker remote as early as possible. It will make it easier for your instructor to be sure that you are participating in the classroom polls, and award you the credit you’ve earned.
If you have an iClicker remote that you last registered in bCourses prior to the current semester, you will likely need to re-register that clicker in bCourses. (In other words, if you go to the iClicker registration screen and the Remote ID field is empty, you need to re-enter the id and click Register.)
Note: If you are using the iClicker student app, you do not register in bCourses. Instead, you add the course in the app. See the iClicker article, How to Add an Instructor's Course in the iClicker student app. (Note: If your instructor provides specific instructions about linking your account to their bCourses course site, please follow those instructions instead.)
3. Bring your working iClicker remote to each class meeting and be sure it's working.
It’s your responsibility to bring your iClicker remote to each class meeting, so that you can participate in the class polls. It’s also your responsibility to keep a spare set of batteries in your backpack.
You should also be sure your participation is being recorded: With an iClicker + (or original iClicker remote), you will see a green light if your vote was received, and a red light if it wasn't. With an iClicker 2, you'll see a "NO BASE" message when you click if your vote wasn't received.
Note: if you are using the iClicker student app AND an iClicker, you can only use one or the other in any one class session. If you try to use them both, you may not get points.
Having problems? See our help page: Student troubleshooting for iClickers