About Instructional Computer Facilities
Instructional Computer Facilities offer UC Berkeley instructors as well as campus and local groups computer classrooms that can be scheduled for a semester or as needed for computer/software-based instruction and workshops.
The Instructional Computer Facilities are specialized teaching and learning spaces in support of computer-based coursework, training, workshop, or group collaboration. Depending upon availability, our Instructional Facilities can be reserved for short-term or semester-long use.
These facilities are appropriate for:
A class that requires the use of specific software for lab or coursework
Departmental training programs
Campus-affiliated groups with a need for a computing and collaboration space
[Note: We also offer a Virtual Computing Lab (VCL) solution. A VCL allows faculty to provide students in a class with 24/7 remote access to software applications needed for coursework. Examples of software applications typically provided in this virtual mode include general-purpose statistical software packages such as Stata, SPSS, and R Studio. Our VCL is based on the Analytics Environment on Demand (AEoD) platform offered by our sister organization, Research IT. For more information about VCL, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. ]
Who can reserve a computer facility?
UC Berkeley Academic courses
- Must have a Course Control Number
- DeCals included
UC Berkeley staff training
Attendees must be UC Berkeley Staff or Faculty
Departmentally sponsored events
- Must be directly supervised on-site by a University employee acting within the course and scope of employment.
- Definition: http://riskservices.berkeley.edu/events-activities/department(link is external)
Individuals and outside organization events
- Considered on a case by case basis
How do you reserve a computer facility?
After reading the above policy that applies to your group, you must complete the following to schedule a reservation:
- Read our reservation Rates and Policies.
- Select your preferred computer facility location based on available days and times (see below).
- Make a reservation using our Reservation Request Form.
- Provide to us any specialized software that you have requested to use on media with installation instructions and proof of licensing at least three weeks before the first reservation.
- Test login, software, and settings one week before the first reservation.